Gymnastics: Legendre honored again
For the second time in three weeks, Oklahoma’s Steven Legendre has been named the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Gymnast of the Week, the conference announced Tuesday.
A freshman from Port Jefferson, N.Y., Legendre claimed his third straight all-around and floor exercise titles in the fifth-ranked Sooners’ Jan. 26 upset of No. 2 Michigan in Norman. In addition to his floor exercise win (15.250) against the Wolverines, Legendre also placed fourth on high bar with a 14.350 and tied for fourth on the parallel bars with a 14.400 en route to an all-around total of 85.850.
Through three meets in 2008, Legendre owns team season highs in the all-around (87.650) and on the floor exercise (15.450). In the latest GymInfo rankings released on Jan. 28, Legendre stands fifth nationally on floor with a 15.367 average and is eighth in the all-around with an average score of 86.150.
Legendre was the conference’s first honoree of the season, earning Gymnast of the Week distinction on Jan. 15 after winning the all-around and floor exercise in OU’s season-opening victory at the Rocky Mountain Open in Colorado Springs, Colo.
Oklahoma returns to action Friday, Feb. 1 against No. 12 Nebraska. The meet is scheduled for a 7 p.m. start at the Lloyd Noble Center in Norman and will feature both the Sooners’ and Huskers’ men’s and women’s teams.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 38644Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15211Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9740Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9154Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8873Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7777Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7381Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7081Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5938Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5914Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients