Gymnastics: OU men advance in Vegas
Four members of the Oklahoma men’s gymnastics team advanced to Saturday’s finals competition at the 2008 Winter Cup Challenge in Las Vegas, Nev.
Five Sooners (Taqiy Abdullah-Simmons, Jonathan Horton, Ian Jackson, Steven Legendre and Jacob Messina) competed in Thursday’s qualification rounds at the Las Vegas Sports Center. Jackson, a sophomore, finished as the first alternate, narrowly missing a berth in the finals.
The best OU performance of the day belonged to freshman Steven Legendre. The Port Jefferson, N.Y., native won the vault competition with a 16.400, defeating 2004 Olympic all-around gold-medalist Paul Hamm (16.300). Legendre also placed third on the floor exercise with a score of 15.400 to finish the day eighth in the all-around standings with an 84.600 total.
Senior co-captains Jonathan Horton and Taqiy Abdullah-Simmons advanced to Saturday’s finals despite competing on only four and three events, respectively. Horton finished in the top 10 on three of his four events, including a fourth-place finish on rings (15.400) and a tie for fourth on high bar (14.850). Abdullah-Simmons was fifth on rings with a 15.350 and also placed in the top-20 on parallel bars (14.400) and high bar (14.050).
Junior Jacob Messina, competing in his first Winter Cup Challenge, tied for 17th on pommel horse (13.550), was 18th on rings (14.450) and tied for 21st on high bar (13.850).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 54680Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 35701Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32594Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8907Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 8388Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 5554Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4146OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3664George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3376Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3309Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients