Golf: OU men 8th in Hawaii
WAIKOLOA VILLAGE, Hawaii – Shooting its second consecutive under-par score in Thursday’s second round, the OU men’s golf squad stands eighth after 36 holes of the UH-Hilo Intercollegiate at the Waikoloa Village golf course in Waikoloa Village, Hawaii.
The Sooners continued their momentum from Wednesday’s good showing, posting a 4-under-par 276 team score at the par-70, 6,738-yard course.
Pacing Oklahoma for the second consecutive round was Jesse Schutte, who fired a 5-under-par 65. The 2007 Big 12 Newcomer of the Year stands in a tie for seventh with 18 holes to play.
Sophomore’s Eric Durbin and Ben Blundell are both in a tie for 31st after rounds of 71 and 68, respectively. Freshman Ryan Sirman is a stroke back of the pair after a second-round 72 while sophomore Tyler Rody rounds out the OU competitors in a tie for 78th after shooting 75 in Thursday’s play.
Stanford jumped into the team lead, after a blistering 17-under-par 263 in which the Cardinal did not count a score worse than 68.
Nine teams competing in this week’s event are ranked in the Golfweek top 50, including three top-10 schools – No. 4 Georgia Tech, No. 8 USC and No. 10 Stanford. Along with the Sooners, Oregon State, TCU, Texas Tech, Arizona State and Oregon round out the other squads in the top 50.
ASU’s Jesper Kennegard and USC’s Jamie Lovemark share the top spot in the medalist race at nine-under.
The event marks OU’s first spring competition after recording four top-5 finishes in five fall events, including a season-best-tying third in the last fall tournament – the Santa Clara Invitational on Oct. 22-23.
Final-round action begins at 7 a.m. (HST) on Friday.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 29552Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 26325Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8457Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7892Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients