Gymnastics: Horton earns weekly honor
Oklahoma senior Jonathan Horton has been named the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Gymnast of the Week for Feb. 11, the conference announced Tuesday. The honor is the first of the season for the two-time MPSF Gymnast of the Year and follows a solid performance at the 2008 Winter Cup Challenge, Feb. 7-9 in Las Vegas, Nev.
The Winter Cup serves as a re-ranking event for USA Gymnastics and helps determine spots on the U.S. Senior National Team.
Horton becomes the second Sooner to earn the conference’s weekly award this season. Freshman Steven Legendre earned Gymnast of the Week honors on Jan. 15 and Jan. 28.
With his spot on the U.S. Senior National Team already secured as a member of the 2007 U.S. World Championships Team, Horton still produced a strong showing at the 2008 Winter Cup Challenge, despite competing on just four events.
Horton placed third on the rings with a two-day total of 31.150 and was the top collegiate finisher on the parallel bars with a final score of 30.150, placing him seventh.
The OU senior also tied for 14th on high bar with a 27.900 total and was 28th on the pommel horse (25.350).
Horton and the fourth-ranked Sooners return to NCAA competition this weekend as they travel to Iowa City, Iowa, to take on the 10th-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes on Feb. 16. The top-10 matchup is scheduled for a 7 p.m. (CST) start at the Field House on the Iowa campus.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3513Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3480How to help tornado victims
- 3393Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients