Tennis: Women play home match Saturday
The OU women’s tennis team opens the first of six straight home contests Saturday, Feb. 23, when it host Alabama at The Greens Golf and Country Club in Oklahoma City.
Matches will begin at 1 p.m.
This will be the fourth time the two teams have met. Alabama (3-4) currently holds a 3-0 series record over OU (4-2).
“We always look forward to playing Bama,” OU head coach Mark Johnson said. “They always have a very strong program and every meeting has been a great match.”
The two teams last met Feb. 24, 2007, with Alabama taking a 4-3 decision at the University of Alabama Varsity Courts.
Oklahoma comes into Saturday’s match after falling 5-2, on the road, to 34th ranked Wichita State.
Alabama recorded a 6-1 victory over Georgia State in its last match Wednesday, Feb. 21 at home.
“Saturday should be a great matchup,” said Johnson. “I feel like we have had a great week of practice and have learned from our loss last Friday.”
The Sooners are led by freshman Ana-Maria Constantinescu at the No. 1 singles position. The Romania native has earned a 5-0 record in dual matches this season. In doubles action, she has teamed up with senior Chelsea Orr to go undefeated at No. 1 doubles.
“Both Ana and Chelsea have been playing very well for us,” said Johnson. “They have both really stepped up in their own ways.”
Fans in attendance at Saturday’s match will be entered in a drawing for a chance to win a racquet as well as an OU T-shirt and hat. The drawings will take place between singles and doubles play.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients