Softball: OU opens Big 12 play vs. Kansas
After playing 33 non-conference games this season, the No. 11 Oklahoma softball team (25-8) will open Big 12 play this weekend at the OU Softball Complex. The Sooners will host the Kansas Jayhawks (23-6) in their conference opener. The two-game series will open on Friday night at 7 p.m. and will conclude with a 1 p.m. meeting against Kansas on Saturday.
A live web cast of both games will be available on Oklahoma All-Access.
Live stats are available for all games this season on SoonerSports.com.
Friday night will feature $.50 hot dog and coke night and the first 250 fans will receive a free OU mini bat. On Saturday, the first 500 fans through the gate will receive a free OU team picture with an autograph session to follow the game. Saturday also marks First Responder Day as helicopters, fire trucks and police units will be on display for Sooner fans to enjoy.
Seats remain for this weekend’s games and gates will open 90 minutes prior to first pitch each day. Tickets are available at the gate, online or by calling the OU Athletics Ticket Office at (800) 456-GoOU. The office is open from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and is located on the plaza level of the Asp Avenue parking garage.
The Jayhawks enter the weekend on fire as they own a five-game winning streak with this week’s National Player of the Week, Val Chapple, leading the way. Currently, KU has a 23-6 record with key wins over Illinois State, Central Florida, Oregon, BYU and Cal State Northridge. The three-member pitching staff is having a solid season as the squad owns a team ERA of 1.60 with ace Valerie George leading the way. The junior right-hander posts an 11-1 record and owns a 0.69 ERA while throwing four shutouts this season and holding opponents to a .165 ERA. Offensively, Chapple headlines the KU offense that owns a .270 batting average as she leads the team with six home runs and 21 RBI. The junior earned national weekly honors after hitting .875 last week with four home runs in three games last week. Chapple is also getting it done on the base paths as she is 4-of-5 in stolen bases.
OU/KU SERIES RECORDS
The series records between the two teams is tied at 40-40. The Sooners have won five of the last seven, but KU and OU split the series in Lawrence last season. The loss was costly for the Sooners as it took away their chances of winning the Big 12 regular season title.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21951Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13280Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10987Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10877UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7355Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 7058Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
- 6253Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 5703Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5606Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 5160Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients