Another Desert Holiday?
So it’s early. And college football practices remain a month away from making much sense.
Still, we’re suckers for preseason predictions, even six months in advance.
So when ESPN throws its first bowl projections up on its website, we click and scroll and react, like it means something, when, of course, it doesn’t.
So make what you will of the worldwide leader’s postseason destination for the Sooners: a third straight Fiesta Bowl.
And make what you will of the opponent: BYU.
That would mean a third straight less-than-enticing matchup, even if the Sooners haven’t been able to handle Boise State and West Virginia the previous two Januarys.
That would mean two BCS busters, Boise and BYU, who would have crashed the party on the strength of unbeaten records built on soft schedules. And even more references to the great game (Boise 43-42, OT) that just won’t stop grating on the nerves of OU fans.
It would mean something good, too, as in another Big 12 championship. But the Sooners dream bigger in 2008, with a national championship in their sights. Not the scenario here.
ESPN has Georgia and Ohio State playing for it all in the title game.
Therein lies hope.
The Buckeyes are due to lose at USC Sept. 13. The Dawgs play one of the nation’s toughest slates and frankly never seem to rise to expectations.
So click and scroll and even react, just don’t blow a gasket.
– By John Helsley
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21533Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17671Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12448Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9610Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9529Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9416Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8233Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 7926Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 6583OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5050Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients