Women’s basketball: OU in preseason NIT
The Oklahoma Sooners headline the 16-team field for the 2008 Preseason Women’s National Invitation Tournament.
Oklahoma will host UC Riverside at the Lloyd Noble Center in the first round of the tournament Saturday, Nov. 15 at 2 p.m. Central. The game falls on a bye week for OU football.
“Our participation in the Preseason WNIT affords our fans the opportunity to experience competitive women’s basketball at the highest level,” OU head women’s basketball coach Sherri Coale said.
“From a team development standpoint this tournament allows us a tremendous competitive advantage in that we will be tested by some of the strongest teams in the nation in November. And the November piece of that is important because of what we will learn about our team so early in the season.”
Oklahoma and North Carolina are the featured programs in a field that includes 12 teams that played in last year’s postseason: Arizona State, Cleveland State, Illinois State, Indiana, Liberty, Middle Tennessee, Robert Morris, Virginia Commonwealth, Western Carolina and Xavier. Also in the mix are Ball State, Lafayette (Pa.), Tulane and UC Riverside. The 16 teams are represent 16 different conferences.
First-round games begin Friday, Nov. 14, and Saturday, Nov. 15. The second round will be played Nov. 16-19; semifinals will be Nov. 19-21 and the championship game is slated for Sunday, Nov. 23. All games are played on home campuses, which are announced after each round.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients