Football: Nic Harris on Thorpe list
Oklahoma safety Nic Harris has been named to the preseason watch list for the Jim Thorpe Award.
Harris was a first-team All-Big 12 selection last season after recording 74 tackles and two interceptions. He also tied for second on the team with 9.5 tackles for loss.
The Jim Thorpe Award Watch List is determined by analysis of the pre-season All-America teams listed in at least six pre-season annual magazines. Four points are awarded for First Team, three points for second team, two points for third and one point for fourth teams and honorable mentions. This procedure determines approximately 40 players on the pre-season watch list.
This list is not final and players who have outstanding seasons are added as the season progresses.
A screening committee of Jim Thorpe Association members follows these players throughout the season, watching games and researching sources to grade candidates on the basis of performance on the field, athletic ability and character. The committee meets on the first Monday in November to narrow the field to 10 or 12 semi-finalists.
Formal presentation of the Jim Thorpe Award takes place at ceremonies in Oklahoma City on the first Tuesday in February following the national signing date for college football recruits.
Harris is trying to become the fourth OU player to win the Thorpe Award. Rickey Dixon won it in 1987, Roy Williams in 2001 and Derrick Strait in 2003.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12097Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11309Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6870Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6485Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4833Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4317OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3653Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3565Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3534How to help tornado victims
- 3145Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients