Wrestling: Hazewinkel wins world title
Former Oklahoma standout Sam Hazewinkel added another title to his wrestling career after winning the gold medal at the University World Championships this past weekend in Greece.
The four-time Sooner All-American downed Kazakhstan’s Yemar Ramazanov 1-2, 5-0, 5-0 in the 55 kg/121 pound finals.
“Sam continues to represent this university in a great way and we are very proud of his recent accomplishments,” head coach Jack Spates said. “It is always great to see past Sooners win championships on such a big stage.”
The Pensacola, Fla., native is third all-time at OU in career wins with a 132-10 record and is ninth in pins with 33.
It has been a busy summer for Hazewinkel, as he placed second at the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials in Las Vegas, Nev., in June.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 4046At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 3397Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 3003How to help tornado victims
- 2509Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 1115Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 620Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 439Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 371Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 366Hospitals treat more than 120 after Oklahoma tornado
- 314OKC Thunder: Thunder stuck with worst-case scenario
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients