Wrestling: Lightner returns to coach
Former University of Oklahoma wrestling national champion Michael Lightner has been named the program’s volunteer assistant coach, head coach Jack Spates announced Monday.
Lightner claimed the national title in 2001 for the Sooners and was crowned Big 12 champion four times at 141 pounds. The four year letterman also helped guide the Sooners to their 23rd conference title in 2001. The Marlow, Okla., native became a four-time All-American, an honor only nine others in school history have claimed.
Since leaving OU, Lightner has continued his wrestling career. He was an All-World team member in 2005 and recently competed at the U.S. Olympic trials.
“Michael is one of the great Sooner wrestlers in the history of this program,” Spates said. “His passion for OU and his dedication to our current team will make him a tremendous addition to our staff.”
Lightner can be found in various OU records, including second in career wins with a 144-16 record. His 37-0 record his senior season led him to the national title and he became the 13th Sooner to go undefeated in a season.
“I am excited to help out in any way I can,” Lightner said. “The OU program helped me achieve a lot of goals and I am excited to give back and help the current team achieve theirs.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16352OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 13509Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12593Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 9784Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9412Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7721Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7510Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7432'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 7083Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6955Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients