Soccer opens 2008 slate against Colorado State
FROM THE OU ATHLETICS OFFICE
NORMAN, Okla. — The Sooners open the 2008 season under first year head coach Nicole Nelson on the road at Colorado College (Conference USA) on Friday, Aug. 22. The game is slated for a 4 p.m. start (MT) at Stewart Field in Colorado Springs. The contest also marks the opener for the Tigers.
ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB
Fans can follow the action live from Colorado Springs this Friday on the internet with live stats and video on CCTigers.com. The live stats are available for free and a $7 fee is required to access the live webcast.
ABOUT THE TIGERS
Colorado College is led by head coach Geoff Bennett who after four years at the Tigers’ helm has compiled a 41-25-9 record. CC was 10-6-3 overall in 2007 and finished fourth in Conference USA with a 5-3-1 mark. The Tigers were picked to finish third in the conference this season behind Memphis and Central Florida. In addition, for the second consecutive season, Tigers Emily Beans and Molly Uyenishi have been named the Preseason C-USA Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year, respectively.
In Colorado College’s previous 23 years in Division I soccer, it has advanced to nine NCAA Tournaments. The Tigers have also appeared in five national semifinals and played in the National Championship game in 1986 and 1989.
Despite both playing in the central region of the country, Oklahoma and Colorado College have only met on one other occasion. The Tigers topped the Sooners, 2-1, in double overtime on Sept. 3, 2000 in Albuquerque, N.M.
SOONERS IN SEASON OPENERS
Oklahoma is 5-1-1 in the last seven season openers. The only loss in that span came in 2006 when it dropped a 1-0 decision at Washington. The tie occurred in 2004 against Saint Louis in Norman. OU is 6-5-1 lifetime in the first game of the year, including a 4-5 mark away from home.
OU returns home to host a pair of opponents from the Mid American Conference. On Friday, Aug. 29, the Sooners will entertain Central Michigan at 7 p.m. at John Crain Field. The first 250 fans will receive OU 2008 Schedule t-shirts and soccer posters will also be available.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients