Waiting for Blake
By John Helsley
We wait for news on the availability of Blake Griffin.
And in this case, no news definitely is not good news.
Blake wasn’t ready to go against Kansas Monday night. And his father, Tommy, said his son was “nowhere near ready.” With the Sooners stuck in their first two-game losing streak of the season, there’s an urgency — although not at the risk of his health — to get the big man back and get the Sooners back to winning.
Concussions are a tricky issue. Unlike a sprained ankle or twisted knee, the symptoms aren’t always clear. You can’t apply ice or tape or stitches or easily recognize the healing.
There are tests, reliable tests. Still, there’s uncertainty, too. And there’s an inclination to err on the side of safety with any injury to the head.
For those who saw Griffin on the bench Monday night, he was clearly still suffering from some post-concussion struggles. He plugged his ears when the LNC got too loud. He sat down and rubbed his face after he got a little too excited.
In the case of a mild concussion, which is what Blake’s injury has been termed, the “normal” time before a return to activity is a minimum of one week, although it can last longer.
So we wait for news.
The Sooners are due in Lubbock Saturday to take on the struggling Red Raiders of Texas Tech. Will Griffin play? Will he reprise his “Terminator” role of the first meeting between the two teams?
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients