Spring Football Update
A few tidbits from Tuesday’s spring practice.
* Running back Jermie Calhoun won’t play much next season, but he is turning heads this spring. According to players, Calhoun busted a few long runs in practice. He and Justin Johnson are the backs of the future, as OU is loaded at the position with Mossis Madu, Chris Brown and DeMarco Murray.
* Adron Tennell is also off to a good start. Players say he is taking more of a leadership role, and catching everything in practice. So far, he is the favorite to occupy one of the starting spots at wide receiver. The other spot appears to be more wide open, with Brandon Caleb, Jameel Owens (who’s been out with an ankle injury) and Dejuan Miller.
* As expected, the coaches are moving Madu out into the slot some, but he’s not the only back to play there. Fullback Matt Clapp has seen some plays in the slot, and even split the seam for a long catch Tuesday. All of this is in an effort to get OU’s best players on the field.
* Word is that Corey Wilson, who suffered a serious spinal cord injury in an auto accident two weeks ago, has been moved out of OU Medical Center and into a rehabilitation facility to begin his long rehab process.
* Ben Habern, who had a broken toe midway through last year, got a medical redshirt and will still have four years of eligibility remaining. Habern is currently the starting center, though he’ll have to hold off Jason Hannan for the job.
* The starting offensive line remains Trent Williams, Brian Simmons, Habern, Stephen Good and Cory Brandon. I expect Hannan and Jarvis Jones to factor into the rotation as well.
* After being called out last Tuesday, the offensive line has responded well according to offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson. Wilson said the Sooners have been running the ball effectively against an OU defense that was stout against the run last season.
* Sam Bradford still hasn’t cut his hair. Stay tuned.
By Jake Trotter
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients