STILL waiting for Capel’s name to clear…
By John Helsley
We went through the rumor wringer Wednesday.
A newspaper website in the Phoenix area — the East Valley Tribune’s — reported midday that Capel was the top candidate for the Arizona job and that negotiations were already underway.
By Wednesday night, it was revealed as a reach, with Capel leaving Norman for Detroit after spending all work week around the OU basketball offices; and with Tim Floyd emerging (according to an ESPN radio report) as next in line for the job.
Oh, and Gonzaga’s Mark Few, he spent several hours in the “top candidate” role Wednesday, too.
As we wrote in an early blog Wednesday, we’re waiting for Capel’s name to clear all the prominent openings to breathe easy again.
You’re waiting, Sooners fans, because you don’t want Capel going anywhere after he’s engineered a program surge in Norman.
I don’t want him going anywhere because I hate coaching searches… and the types of rumors they spur.
Already this week, Capel has been labeled the top candidate at Virginia, Georgia and Arizona. Is Memphis sure to follow? USC, too?
This is what has become of our business, where school janitors qualify as “sources” with some reporters, all in the quest to get it first, not necessarily get it right. Accountability has not just taken a backseat, it’s bouncing around in peril in the back of a flat-bed Ford.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12675Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11502Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6315Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5431Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 5078Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4467OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3964How to help tornado victims
- 3897Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3600Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3091Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients