OU passes Bama
One of the winners from the news that Alabama, pending an appeal, must vacate 21 wins due to NCAA sanctions is the University of Oklahoma.
Well, Alabama minus 21 wins means that OU leapfrogs Alabama in all-time wins with Alabama’s total dropping to 778. The Sooners have 788 wins and now rank No. 7 in career wins.
That doesn’t mean it will stay that way. Alabama is considering an appeal to the NCAA to recapture its vacated wins. Remember, a couple years ago, OU won an appeal to regain eight wins from the 2005 season, which the NCAA originally took away following Bomar-Gate.
Thanks to its win of that appeal, OU has a chance this season to become the seventh team to record 800 victories. An 11-2 or 12-2 record, which is more than achievable with the amount of talent this team has coming back, would be enough.
Penn State sits at No. 6 with 801 wins, meaning OU has some work to do to catch the Nittany Lions. Michigan, at the top with 872 wins, has remarkably 40 more victories than No. 2 Texas (832).
Here’s a look at the top 10 teams in terms of all-time victories:
1. Michigan, 872
2. Texas, 832
3. Notre Dame, 831
4. Nebraska, 827
5. Ohio St., 808
6. Penn St., 801
7. Oklahoma, 788
8. Alabama, 778
9. Tennessee, 776
10. Southern California, 766
Trivia question: which Big 12 team ranks last in the league and No. 90 overall with 452 all-time victories?
By Jake Trotter
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15916Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 15914Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 11583Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11309'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10923Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10033OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 7498Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6996Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6944Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6781Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients