Where did the three wins go?
On a previous comment, Claude Raines claimed that Oklahoma possesses 791 victories, three fewer than I had given the Sooners when comparing all-time wins.
The College Football Data Warehouse, which stores loads of information about all-time college football results, lists 788 wins for OU. But the university, which claims CFDW as its source as well, lists 791.
So, why the discrepancy?
I was curious. So after a little research, I discovered the reason is 1972.
That year, OU was forced to forfeit three games due to, as the Sports Illustrated vault recounts, “Kerry Jackson, the hotshot quarterback whose high school transcript was altered, resulting in OU being put on probation for two years and costing the Sooners three 1972 victories.”
Wins over Missouri, Kansas and OSU were changed to losses.
So in reality, OU has both 788 wins and 791 wins, depending on how you view those three games in question (by the way, forfeits are different from vacated victories. A forfeit is a loss. A “vacate” is neither a win nor loss).
Either way, the Sooners are 7th all-time in wins, and 5th in winning percentage.
** Predictably, Alabama announced Wed. that the school would appeal the 21 victories that are currently being vacated by the NCAA for violations. Will be interesting to see what happens, but my guess is that the Tide will get their victories back.
** Got an email from a writer who covers Missouri a couple of days ago, asking who would be OU’s top newcomer this season (freshman, redshirt freshman, JUCO). I responded with JUCO WR Cameron Kenney, who I interviewed and wrote a story about earlier this summer. Kenney’s ability to help OU on special teams is intriguing, in addition to his obvious talents at receiver.
But what about others? Is there another newcomer to watch who may overtake Kenney in terms of impact?
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients