Practice report (8-10-09)
A lot of good tidbits came from Monday’s practice, the first in full pads this preseason.
The biggest story line was tight end Brody Eldridge being forced to play first-team center with starter Ben Habern and top reserve Brian Lepak both battling injuries. Eldridge is the team’s emergency center, though Habern should be back in practice later this week. Lepak is out for the next 1-2 weeks with a high ankle sprain.
The other most interesting nugget was offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson basically saying that Cameron Kenney and freshman Jaz Reynolds would be ahead of sophomores Jameel Owens and Dejuan Miller if he had to fill out the depth chart at wide receiver today. Kenney is not too shocking, but Reynolds has been a pleasant surprise. Reynolds apparently has blazing speed, which has the Sooner coaches salivating. He could carve out a decent role for himself this season. Owens and Miller, meanwhile, were supposed to have breakout seasons this year. That won’t happen if they don’t make it onto the field. Remember, the Sooners also have Mossis Madu, Ryan Broyles, Brandon Caleb and Adron Tennell at receiver as well, not to mention running back DeMarco Murray and tight end Jermaine Gresham, who will be flexed out or placed in the slot often.
* As customary with all football teams the first day of pads, the Sooners ran the “Oklahoma Drill.” Among the players who impressed Bob Stoops were Auston English, Jeremy Beal, Trent Williams, Gerald McCoy and backup right tackle Jarvis Jones.
Said Stoops, “The Oklahoma Drill was wild. Guys were getting after it, which you like. It carried right into our inside drill where we did a lot of short yardage. It was really physical.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15849OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 15499Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10070'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 9359Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 8965Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8555Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 7639Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7596Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7433Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7053Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients