Numbers check for returning Heisman QBs
Fellow OU writer Jake Trotter spoke with Jason White for today’s Oklahoman. White, who won the Heisman Trophy in 2003, is one of five quarterbacks to return to college football after winning the Heisman.
Sam Bradford will be the sixth.
Of course, as I blogged about at length last week, the only two-time winner is a running back.
Here’s how the five quarterbacks fared in their defense of the Heisman:
Roger Staubach: 1963 winner
1963: 107 completions, 161 attempts, 66.5% completion %, 1,474 yards, 7 TD
1964: 119 completions, 204 attempts, 58.3% completion %, 1,131 yards, 4 TD
1964 Heisman finish: Received no votes. I guess we’ll call that a tie for 11th. (Winner: John Huarte, Notre Dame)
Ty Detmer: 1990 winner
1990: 362 completions, 561 attempts, 64.2% completion %, 5,188 yards, 41 TD, 24 INT
1991: 249 completions, 403 attempts, 61.8% completion %, 4,031 yards, 35 TD, 12 INT
1991 Heisman finish: 3rd. (Winner: Desmond Howard, Michigan)
Jason White: 2003 winner
2003: 278 completions, 451 attempts, 61.6% completion %, 3,846 yards, 40 TD, 10 INT
2004: 255 completions, 390 attempts, 65.4% completion %, 3,205 yards, 35 TD, 9 INT
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients