Practice report (8-27-09)
The biggest news of the day was DE coach Chris Wilson’s announcement that Auston English would be starting opposite Jeremy Beal at defensive end.
English beat out sophomore Frank Alexander, who is a budding star. But Wilson said English looks like his old self, perhaps even better, and has had a strong camp.
Other news and notes:
* Ryan Reynolds said he continues to feel 100 percent and is ready to go for next weekend.
* Chris Wilson, who doubles as the special teams coach, believes that the kickoff coverage unit will be better, namely because of the extreme emphasis that’s been put on it this preseason.
* David King and RJ Washington continue to battle for the No. 4 DE spot behind Beal, English and Alexander. King is back from a concussion suffered earlier on this month.
* Wilson said some of the freshmen that will help on special teams this season include Ronnell Lewis, Demontre Hurst and Marcus Trice.
* Wilson also admitted that Hurst could have a future someday returning punts and kicks because of his natural athletic ability and feel for the game.
* But for now, Dom Franks, the team’s fastest defensive player, and Ryan Broyles, the team’s fastest offensive player, will handle the majority of the kick and punt returns.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients