An in-depth analysis of a few favorite jams
As an additional element to today’s story on shattered backboards, we put together a list of some of the more notable ones in basketball history.
Here’s a closer look.
Darryl Dawkins, Philadelphia 76ers, 1979
Here’s what separates Dawkins from every other dunker who’s broken a backboard:
Both times he does it, he knows he’s ripping the rim off the backboard. He’s not trying to score two points, he’s trying to cause destruction.
And that is fantastic. Even more fantastic? His dunk’s name:
“The Chocolate-Thunder-Flying, Robinzine-Crying, Teeth-Shaking, Glass-Breaking, Rump-Roasting, Bun-Toasting, Wham-Bam, Glass-Breaker-I-Am-Jam.”
“The Tomahawk” and “The Honey Dip” should be ashamed of themselves.
Shaquille O’Neal, Orlando Magic, 1993
I’m not sure how the artist formerly known as The Shaqtus hasn’t shattered a backboard in a game. He probably did in high school. Dwight Howard broke a shot clock in last year’s playoff series against the Cavs, but I don’t think you’ll see anyone literally tear down a goal ever again. If they do, my money is on Dwight.
Michael Jordan, Some italian team, 1986
I really thought I knew everything there was to know about Michael Jordan. I’ve got the Sam Vincent trading card that caught MJ wearing No. 12 for a game in the 1990-91 season against the Magic. I know he scored 49 points in that game. I know his career high is 69 against the Cavs and that he batted .202 with the Birmingham Barons when he played AA minor league ball.
I did not know he shattered a backboard during an exhibition game while playing for an Italian team. Call it an error of my youth.
That said, I think he’s an outlier on this list, other than Dawkins. The rim he broke looked pretty shoddy. The best part is MJ gets almost none of the glass on him, but dumps it on a pair of poor, trailing Italians.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3771OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3668Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3566How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients