Report: OU hires former UGA DC Willie Martinez
Oklahoma appears to have gotten the best of Stanford again.
Former Georgia defensive coordinator Willie Martinez will fill the vacant assistant coaching spot at OU, Tom Dienhart of Rivals.com is reporting.
Martinez, who was fired by Georgia coach Mark Richt in December after the Bulldog defense struggled in back-to-back seasons, reportedly was hired over the weekend to be Jim Harbaugh’s defensive backs coach at Stanford.
But Deinhart is now saying, according to a Stanford source, that Martinez is taking the assistant’s job at OU, which came open when former Sooner defensive ends coach Chris Wilson left to become the co-defensive coordinator/defensive line coach at Mississippi State.
Martinez’s background is with defensive backs – he coach defensive backs at Georgia for nine years — but it’s unclear what position group he’ll coach in Norman if the report is true.
OU defeated Stanford on Dec. 31 in the Sun Bowl, 31-27, in El Paso, Texas.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 31040Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15616Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10323Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9726Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9655Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8284Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8255Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7508Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7162Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6434UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients