Capel’s Shot: 15 Years Later
Nice story in the Charlotte Observer today about Jeff Capel’s halfcourt shot against UNC in 1995.
Today marks the 15th anniversary of one of the most memorable games in college basketball’s signature rivalry.
Though the Tarheels went on to win, Capel’s shot sent the game into double overtime. The shot made that Feb. 2, 1995 game on of just three in 227 meetings to go past a single overtime.
“Some people think that may be the biggest rivalry or one of the best games in sports, period,” Capel said. “And for a guy that grew up in that state and when I was younger dreamed of going to North Carolina — and then when I was older chose to go to Duke over North Carolina — to have a moment in that game that people remember is pretty neat.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6021UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6010Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients