Brennan Clay a key recruiter
While Brennan Clay has the physical tools necessary of becoming a big-time running back at Oklahoma, his value to the Sooners goes beyond that.
After committing to OU out of San Diego last June, Clay went to work luring a pair of other high school stars from the area, safety Tony Jefferson (Chula Vista, Calif.) and wide receiver Kenny Stills (Carlsbad, Calif.) to Norman.
“Guys of that caliber aren’t going to make a decision on what one kid says,” said Clay’s high school coach, Sergio Diaz. “But I would say he played a major part in them considering OU an option.”
Before this class, OU had not done much recruiting in the state of California. Through Bob Stoops’ first 11 recruiting classes, the Sooners signed just three Californians total.
Thanks in part to Clay, OU was able to get in the door with Jefferson and Stills, who are two of the top prospects in this Sooner signing class.
“Kids, they attend camps, combines, take visits at the same time. Relationships are developed,” said ESPN recruiting analyst Tom Luginbill. “When someone commits before the others do and has a sense of what the program has, I think he can relay to the others somewhat of an objective viewpoint.
“So I don’t think there’s any doubt that he played a part in OU getting Jefferson and Stills.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13135OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7091Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6692Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6620Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5959Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5205Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5081Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3987As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3816Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 3469OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients