No more injuries, please
I mentioned this in the OU notebook today, but all the high-profile quarterback injuries this season have really hurt college football.
The worst part, it seems, is there’s no solution. Unless you want to outlaw sacks or mobile quarterbacks, no rule change could have prevented those injuries. It’s mostly just bad breaks and bad blocking.
I didn’t see the hits that knocked out USC’s Matt Barkley (the next week, anyway), Baylor’s Robert Griffin or USF’s Matt Grothe, but Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford went down on hits delivered by unblocked defenders. Both hits clean and legal.
It’s a shame, and there’s not much else to say. Less than a month into the season, we’ve seen more high-profile quarterbacks go down than I ever remember in such a short span. USC has a loss, and Aaron Corp is a big reason why. OU’s Landry Jones has played well in his two starts, but he didn’t play well enough to win against BYU.
Now, Florida will be faced with the same dilemma in two weeks that the Sooners face now: How careful should teams be when they bring back a star player from an injury?
I doubt Bradford plays against Miami, but most (including Vegas) think OU can beat Miami with Landry Jones.
LSU hasn’t looked great this season, but if Florida trots out John Brantley in Baton Rouge in two weeks, the Gators have a good chance of joining the ranks of teams bitten by quarterback injuries this season.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 5124Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5057Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4620UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients