Pro Day tidbits
Some tidbits from the event:
* Quarterback Sam Bradford was not in attendance. Bradford is in Pensacola, Fla., at the Athletes’ Performance training facility — right next door to the Andrews Institute, the rehabilitation facility of Dr. James Andrews (who performed surgery on Bradford’s throwing shoulder). Bradford will work out for various NFL teams on March 25 in Norman.
* None of the other big three — DT Gerald McCoy, OT Trent Williams, TE Jermaine Gresham — did any major testing. Williams participated in the 20-yard shuttle and posted a time of 4.40. McCoy did some drill work and was impressive. Gresham ran some routes and caught passes. The drill was run by current Bengals assistant and former OU assistant Jonathan Hayes. McCoy said he plans to bench press again on Bradford’s pro day to improve on the 23 reps of 225 pounds he did at the combine.
* St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo and general manager Billy Devaney attended Tuesday, namely to watch McCoy, who is one of the players under consideration with the Rams for the No. 1 overall draft pick. Spagnuolo said he plans to return March 25 for Bradford’s Pro Day.
* CB Dom Franks posted a 40 time of 4.47, better than the combine time he ran of 4.52.
* RB Chris Brown (hamstring), TE Brody Eldridge (neck) and DE Auston English (ankle) sat out Tuesday’s pro day while recovering from injuries. All three plan to work out on Bradford’s pro day.
* Among the former Sooners attending included Mark Clayton, Reggie Smith and Lewis Baker.
* Former OU LB Mike Balogun gave an interesting interview afterward. Maintained he did not play semi-pro ball after his 21st birthday, declared the NCAA’s assertions otherwise that caused him to lose his senior year of football were completely false, and that he plans to seek financial compensation from the NCAA down the line. Balogun is hoping to make it in the NFL, despite sitting out last season.
“They said I played in like two seasons after my 21st birthday. But I didn’t,” he said. “Something needs to change. The NCAA makes its own rules and they manipulate it however they want.”
* Results from pro day
Mike Balogun 6-00
Chris Brown 5-10.5
J.R. Bryant 6-01.6
Matt Clapp 6-01.6
Keenan Clayton 6-01.2
Dominique Franks 5-11.2
DeMarcus Granger 6-01
Jermaine Gresham 6-05.3
Ben Hampton 6-02.4
Brian Jackson 6-00.4
Gerald McCoy 6-04
Brian Simmons 6-04.2
Adron Tennell 6-03.3
Trent Williams 6-04.4
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients