Bad year for OU hoops and helmets
Every spring, the Web site CollegeFootballNews.com holds its annual Hoops and Helmets rankings. Essentially, the power ratings combine the performances of a school’s football and men’s basketball teams.
Often, with a powerhouse football program and a basketball team that’s a regular in the NCAA Tournament, OU is ranked high.
Last year, with a BCS runner-up and an Elite Eight finish, OU was No. 1.
But this year, not surprisingly, the Sooners didn’t make CFB’s 2010 list.
Despite winning its last two, the football team struggled to an 8-5 season. But for all the football team’s struggles, those didn’t come close to what the basketball team endured. Jeff Capel’s club sputtered to a 13-18 record and will be home during this week’s NCAA Tournament.
Some have suggested this has been the worst year ever for OU football-basketball in one season.
Going by winning percentage, only one year has been worse than 2009-10 in the last 42 years.
Averaging out the two teams’ winning percentage, the Sooners finished with a 52 winning percentage in football and hoops this past year.
Since 1968, only one other time has OU finished with a football-basketball winning percentage worse than 52 percent.
That was 1996-97, when the football and basketball programs combined for a 45 winning percentage.
That year, in John Blake’s first season, OU finished 3-8 (.272) in football. The basketball team actually had a record of 19-11 (.633) but was bounced by Stanford in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
2009-10 might not be the worst season ever for OU football-basketball.
But in the last 42 years, only 1996 was worse.
Follow Jake Trotter on Twitter: @Jake_Trotter.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12097Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11309Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6870Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6485Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4833Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4317OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3653Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3565Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3534How to help tornado victims
- 3145Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients