Jeff Capel Q&A
Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel had a lot to say at Big 12 Media Day on Wednesday in Kansas City. Here’s a few things that won’t make tomorrow’s paper:
Will it be a struggle to keep big man Tiny Gallon in the paint when he likes playing on the perimeter?
You must have seen Tiny play somewhere.
That is something — he is a versatile guy. He can do a lot of different things. One of the things he can do is shoot the basketball. But it is something that we have to remind him of, or we’ve had to remind him of so far is don’t fall in love with just being on the perimeter because you are 6’9″. You do have a 7’4″ wingspan, and you are 290 pounds. And to use that.
I haven’t seen any 6’9″, 290 pound shooting guards out there. LeBron is close, but, you know, by any means, he’s not LeBron. There’s only one of those guys walking the face of the earth.
It is something that we’ve had to remind him, and I keep using the word “had,” past tense. Hopefully it’s not something, as we get into November and December and January and February, that we don’t have to continually remind him of that.
What have the two big-name newcomers, Gallon and Tommy Mason-Griffin, shown you in early practices?
Tommy Mason-Griffin has been as good as anyone in practice for us first six days. He’s been that good.
I knew he was good coming out of high school. One of the things I thought about Tommy was I thought he had a large room to grow to get better. Same thing with Tiny.
Once those guys got into a situation where they were forced to work consistently, and that’s where they are right now. And because of that, Tommy’s made a little bit bigger jump right now than Tiny. Tiny’s coming, and Tiny’s very talented. He’s worked to get his weight in check. He’s at 290. He was 360 going into his senior year. He’s at 290.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 64206Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14590Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8849Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 6802How to help tornado victims
- 6783Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6409Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6168Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5647Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 5641Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 5457Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients