Orlando Allen to leave Oklahoma hoops team
Oklahoma center Orlando Allen has decided he will not return to the men’s basketball team for his senior season, and instead graduate this summer and get a job to support his family.
Allen is the father of a two-month-old child.
“I had an overall great experience at OU,” Allen said in a statement. “I really enjoyed the fan support and I thank my coaches for the opportunity they gave me to come to OU and make something of my life. And I wish my teammates the best in everything they do.”
Said OU head coach Jeff Capel in a statement, “I admire Orlando for doing what he feels is best for his family. Our staff supports his decision and we wish him and his family well as he moves on to the next phase of his life.”
Allen is the fourth underclassman to leave the Sooner basketball team since the end of the season last month.
He joins guards Tommy Mason-Griffin and Willie Warren, and swingman Ray Willis.
Mason-Griffin and Warren have turned pro. Willis is trying to transfer to another school.
Allen averaged 1.2 points and 1.9 rebounds in his nine games this past year, but played a total of only 63 minutes on the season.
With Allen now gone, the Sooners now have only four scholarship players with court experience returning next season: guard Cade Davis, forward Andrew Fitzgerald, guard Steven Pledger and forward Tiny Gallon, whose status with the team is tenuous as the school investigates a previous report alleging he received $3,000 from a financial adviser.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18732Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 15952Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 10745How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2638Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 2099Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 1489Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 1234Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients