Bradford and Griffin: Just unlucky
Six hours after Sam Bradford said goodbye to Oklahoma football, news broke that Sooner Nation’s other blessed son, Clippers rookie Blake Griffin, had a stress fracture in his kneecap that would delay his official NBA debut six weeks.
Plenty credit The Clippers Curse. Others want to throw a dunce cap on Sam Bradford for giving millions of dollars an escape route.
It’s mostly just a shame.
Griffin was a lock at No. 1 in last June’s NBA Draft. Bradford was a probable top five pick in his own draft.
Griffin left. Bradford stayed.
Now, they’re both reminders that sometimes you’re just unlucky. Bradford didn’t let a pair of blitzers through unblocked. It’s not Griffin’s fault the Clippers won the NBA Draft Lottery.
Griffin had more buzz than any rookie in the NBA in the preseason, after he Youtube’d the Lakers’ D.J. Mbenga and earned the nickname “Amazin’” from his Clipper teammates. Maybe the worst part of the injury for Sooner fans is they’ll now have to wait until next year to see the phenom play in Oklahoma again.
Griffin will miss his homecoming game against the Thunder on Nov. 15, and the two won’t play again until March, when the Thunder travel to Los Angeles.
Griffin and Bradford did what they felt was right for them. Sometimes misfortune just gets in the way, no matter the decision.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 71664Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31265Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29267Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 20588Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6679Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6629Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6010Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 5747Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 5482Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 5176Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients