Standout prep tight end, Oklahoma commit Chris Barnett withdraws from school
Junior standout tight end Chris Barnett, who has verbally committed to Oklahoma, withdrew from Euless Trinity on Monday, the high school’s coach told the Dallas Morning News on Wednesday.
Barnett (6-6, 245), one of the state’s top recruits, transferred to state-champion Euless Trinity in January from A. Maceo Smith, where his father, Elzie, is the football head coach.
Elzie Barnett told the Morning News that his son isn’t enrolled in any school right now and living with his grandmother. Chris Barnett played his sophomore and junior seasons at A. Maceo Smith. He spent his freshman year at Garland while living with Elzie’s mother.
“I have no idea what he wants to do,” Elzie Barnett told the newspaper. “I don’t want to talk to a reporter about why he withdrew from school. Without talking about his personal business, being away from Euless, Texas, is the best thing for Chris Barnett.”
Elzie said that “more than likely” he’ll end up back at A. Maceo Smith.
Barnett is rated one of the top high school tight ends in the nation, according to various recruiting services.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients