Tommy Mason-Griffin gave his first interview since declaring for the NBA Draft via Facebook last month. Mason-Griffin spoke with the Fox affiliate in Houston on Monday. Mason-Griffin is in his native Houston working out for the draft.
“I want to apologize if they felt I let them down by leaving early or leaving this soon I would say,” said Mason-Griffin. “This past season, I know we didn’t have the best season, but I gave it my all. My teammates gave it their all even though the end of the season didn’t come out like it was supposed to, but we played hard and we fought.
“I know my coaches weren’t expecting me to leave this early. So it was like leaving a family to help my family. When it came down to it I wanted to do whatever was best for me
“It was tough simply because I know next year there will be a whole lot of different opportunities (at OU), but I feel like I am ready this year. So I just want to prove that.
“I’ve been going against critics my whole life. Everybody said I was too little. At first I couldn’t shoot good enough. I wasn’t going to go D-1 because I was overweight. I’ve just been proving people wrong my whole life. I just look at it as motivation for every day when I work out.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients