OU appears Sun Bowl bound
Win or lose at Bedlam this weekend, Oklahoma’s most likely bowl destination appears to be the Sun Bowl.
If Oklahoma State wins Bedlam: The Cowboys would go to the Fiesta. That would leave the Cotton to choose from Nebraska, Texas Tech and Missouri. Except that Tech went there last year, and Nebraska will have just played in the Big 12 title game in Cowboys Stadium. So the Cotton could take Missouri. That would send Nebraska to the Holiday and Tech to the Alamo.
The Sun is next in the pecking order, and would be left to decide between a 6-6 OU or 6-6 Texas A&M. While it’s possible the Sun could take A&M because of its proximity to El Paso, the Sooners hammered A&M 65-10 this year, which probably gives them the nod.
But, if the Sun did take A&M, OU would be snatched up by the Insight Bowl, and ironically play in the same city as the Fiesta, which would be hosting OSU.
If OU wins Bedlam: The Sooners would knock OSU out of the BCS. But because OSU would then go to the Cotton, OU would still be looking at the Sun. Nebraska would head to the Holiday and Tech, the Alamo.
The Sun would then probably take a 7-5 OU coming off a huge victory, instead of Missouri or A&M.
The opponent: At this point, it’s unclear who OU would play in the Sun, which gets the third-place team in the Pac-10. But some possibilities include USC, Oregon State, Stanford, California and Arizona, coached by Mike Stoops.
The date: 11 a.m. Dec. 31.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients