Colorado made its move. When will OU?
Without Nebraska, and now Colorado, the chances of the Big 12 surviving are slim.
Now, the question is, when will Oklahoma, and the other four schools with Pac-10 invites make their moves.
Multiple sources told The Oklahoman last week that if Nebraska didn’t declare its allegiance to the Big 12, OU, OSU, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech would jump to the Pac-10.
A source Wednesday told The Oklahoman the schools could announce next week that they have agreed in principle to join the Pac-10.
But first, the Big 12 schools in question must get on the same page, which is something that doesn’t look like it will happen until Monday, at the earliest.
According to SI.com, Texas A&M is mulling through overtures from the SEC, which could complicate the conference realignment process. Officials from Texas and Texas A&M are expected to meet today, to align their futures. Expect Texas to push Texas A&M to join the Pac-10.
Also at issue is whether OU, OSU, Texas, A&M and Tech will end up having to pay the buyout of about $10 million to leave the Big 12.
To avoid paying a buyout, nine schools would have to vote to dissolve the league. And with Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor expected to vote against dissolution, the Oklahoma and Texas schools don’t seem to have the votes to avoid that expenditure.
That vote could take place Monday.
Either way, a mass exodus seems imminent, with the Monday deadline for the remaining Big 12 members to pledge allegiance to each other looming.
When that deadline passes, OU could be announcing it’s going to the Pac-10.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients