How Oklahoma basketball coach Jeff Capel is spending his summer ‘vacation’
USA Basketball gave Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel a nifty way to get away from it all. He’s coaching U.S. under-18 national team that will play in the FIBA Americas U18 Championships for Men starting this weekend in San Antonio.
The team is headlined by Kyrie Irving, the Gatorade National Player of the Year. Irving will play point guard next season at Duke, giving he and Capel, himself a former Blue Devil point guard, a lot to talk about. For Capel, the whole experience is a change of subject after months of being at the center of an imploding basketball program now under NCAA investigation.
“This is great,” Capel told the San Antonio Express-News’ Jerry Briggs. “It’s always great to be able to coach during the summer.”
Who knows whether Capel needed rejuvenating. He’s kept a low-profile in recent months. But Team USA guard Austin Rivers, himself the son of a high-energy coach, has noticed during practices that Capel is “really into it.”
“I expected nothing less from him. He goes hard,” said Rivers, son of Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers. “You can tell he loves the game. You can tell he knows exactly what he’s talking about.”
Here’s the Team USA roster: Vander Blue (James Madison Memorial H.S. / Madison, Wis.); Trevor Cooney (Sanford H.S. / Wilmington, Del.); Abdul Gaddy (Washington / Tacoma, Wash.); Joshua Hairston (Montrose Christian School (Md.) / Fredericksburg, Va.); Kyrie Irving (St. Patrick’s H.S. / Elizabeth, N.J.); Quincy Miller (Quality Education Academy / Winston-Salem, N.C.); Tony Mitchell (L.G. Pinkston H.S. / Dallas, Texas); LeBryan Nash (Lincoln H.S. / Dallas, Texas); Jereme Richmond (Waukegan H.S. / Waukegan, Ill.); Austin Rivers (Winter Park H.S. / Winter Park, Fla.); Amir Williams (Detroit Country Day / Detroit, Mich.); and Patric Young (Providence School / Jacksonville, Fla.).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients