Another branch hacked from the Stoops coaching tree
In 2007 and 2008, former Oklahoma assistants Mark Mangino and Mike Leach had their teams, Kansas and Texas Tech, in the nation’s top 2 and in the national title hunt.
Now, before 2009 comes to an end, both are unemployed.
Leach was Bob Stoops’ offensive coordinator in 1999 before leaving for Lubbock.
Mangino worked under Stoops as offensive line coach in 1999 before succeeding Leach as offensive coordinator for the 2000 and 2001 seasons.
Leach made a name for himself with his quirks, both offensively and personality…ly. Should he stay outside the conference, the Big 12 will miss both his outings flirting with 70 passes and his dating advice.
Remember, always look for the underneath receiver in space, and never take a girl out to a restaurant that’s too formal on a first date.
Oh, and there was also that one play that OU fans might be just a little bit thankful for.
Leach will surely field calls from programs with coaching vacancies in the weeks that follow, but for my sake, I hope he spends at least a season or two as an analyst somewhere. Charles Barkley would no longer be the only must-watch voice on TV.
On a serious note, though, is it not somewhat strange that Texas Tech would hire Bob Knight to coach its basketball team after he was fired after being accused of plenty of incidents far more scandalous than forcing a player to study outside in the cold or stand in a dark equipment garage?
Just a thought.
But Texas Tech now has a vacancy of its own, and the race to fill it should be something to watch. Houston’s Kevin Sumlin, another Stoops disciple, could be a favorite, but he might be better served to stick around Houston for another season or two and wait for a job that doesn’t require him to knock off Texas and/or Oklahoma to win more than an Alamo Bowl trophy.
Plenty of names other than Sumlin will emerge in the coming days. So will the torch-bearing hordes that want Leach reinstated.
Lubbock, Texas is many things. When Mike Leach is involved, boring is rarely one of them.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14537OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9306Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6496Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6052Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5977Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5977Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3990As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3888Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3626Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3076Several factors come into play on whether Kevin Martin returns to Thunder
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients