Sooners on a winning streak
Oklahoma owns the second longest winning streak (three) in the conference behind Texas. That’s a surprising development since some skeptics projected the Sooners might win only two or three Big 12 games all season.
Defense has been the key to winning streak. But the best news for the Sooners is they defeated Iowa State 82-76 in overtime Saturday night Ames, Iowa, without bringing their A game.
Steven Pledger, scoring a career high 38 points, brought his A game.
But OU won despite being outrebounded 45-34, outscored 36-16 in the paint and shooting 59.4 percent at the line (19-of-32).
The Sooners won even though three starters –Cade Davis, Andrew Fitzgerald and Carl Blair — shot a combined 30.4 percent (7-of-23).
OU (11-9 overall, 3-3 in league play) led by as many as 15 points in the first half.
But the best example that a young team is gaining confidence is Iowa State built a 6-point lead with 3:34 to play. Led by Pledger, the Sooners battled back to force overtime, then win in the extra period.
Over the final three-plus minutes of regulation and five minutes of overtime, OU held Iowa State to 3-of-14 shooting.
A young team that’s 3-3 with 10 league games to play, still has much to prove but is off to a better start than projected.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24112Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13400Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10660Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10343UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7789Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6928Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6551Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6286Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6076Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4932OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients