Bedlam in December?
In the new Big 12 format, Oklahoma almost certainly will be one of the teams scheduled to play a game the first week in December to compensate for the lack of a conference championship game.
And that opponent almost certainly will be Oklahoma State.
Neither the Big 12 nor the two Bedlam schools have an announcement, but all signs point to Bedlam moving to December, along with probably at least one other conference game. Such a move would give the league a much needed presence the final week of the college football season when other leagues like the Big Ten, SEC and ACC are staging their conference title games.
“It probably will be game(s) we anticipate will be meaningful for the conference race at that point and time,” league commissioner Dan Beebe said prior to the Big 12 Championship between OU and Nebraska. “Some of the big rivalry games are being looked at.”
Bedlam is at the top of that list. Especially considering that OU-Texas will remain in October, and Texas-Texas A&M is expected to remain on Thanksgiving Day week.
If OU-OSU indeed moves to December as expected, one OU official pointed out the Sooners will push to replace the previous Bedlam date (which in recent years has supplanted OU-Nebraska as the Sooners’ annual Thanksgiving matchup) with another conference rivalry.
It’s unclear which opponent that would be, but UT, A&M or OSU, obviously wouldn’t be options. Texas Tech would be an attractive alternative, and K-State and Missouri would be possibilities, too.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients