Big 12 baseball will be double elimination
The Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship is finally giving up on the pool play format.
The tournament will return to an eight-team, double-elimination format. It will actually consist of two, four-team brackets with the winners facing off in the championship game May 29.
The luster of pool play, which was instituted so fans knew when their teams were playing and to keep the strain off pitching arms from playing in more than four games, waned the last couple of years with several meaningless games being played. Those games had sparse attendance, too.
In a double elimination bracket, while the schedule is in flux, all games matter.
Tickets for the tournament can be purchased by calling the Oklahoma City RedHawks Box Office at (405) 218-1000.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients