Weber to stay at Illinois
Illinois coach Bruce Weber will remain with the Illini the school announced in a written statement Thursday afternoon.
Weber, who has coached Illinois the past eight seasons, said in the statement he received calls from other schools. Sources said one of those schools was Oklahoma.
Some Illinois fans have called for Weber to be fired after a 21-14 finish. The Illini were ranked in the top 25 in preseason but finished unranked, receiving a No. 9 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
Weber, 54, has compiled a 193-86 record at Illinois but the Illini hasn’t reached the Sweet Sixteen since his first two seasons when he inherited players from former coach Bill Self, who left for Kansas.
Illinois has made the NCAA Tournament in six of Weber’s eight seasons but only two of the last four. Weber owns a career 296-140 record, including five seasons at Southern Illinois.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16150OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 14605Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10995Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 9399Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 9121'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 8921Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7695Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7584Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 7477Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7078Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients