Thibodeaux would give title to Auburn
Calvin Thibodeaux, a defensive end on Oklahoma’s 2004 team, believes Auburn should be given the national title if the NCAA decided to replace USC, which was stripped of the title earlier this week.
The Trojans defeated the Sooners 55-19 in the Orange Bowl, the national title game. The NCAA announced the 2004 title will be vacated with no national champion.
“They beat us fair and square,” Thibodeaux said. “If anything I feel bad for Auburn. That Auburn team went undefeated. I really didn’t have a reaction because they beat us.”
Thibodeaux is focused on his new job, defensive line coach at Dartmouth after coaching at a junior college last season. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Houston, which ended a 28-year bowl draft that season.
“I’m really enjoying it,” Thibodeaux said. “We have 18 returning starters off a 6-4 team so I think we have a chance (to win the Ivy League) this season.”
Ivy League schools don’t offer scholarships but Thibodeaux said that isn’t an issue filling out a roster.
“I’ve been surprised how many guys we’ve had to turn away,” Thibodeaux said. “We recruit nationally. (Recruits) know the value of an Ivy League education so we have a lot of players interested, especially on the West Coast. Out there they’re crazy about the Ivy League.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients