Kenny Mossman, OU’s head of sports information, has tallied the impact of the streak and put it into some historical context:
* A total of 6,026,578 have attended the first 74 games in the streak.
* The average number of fans to attend the games during the streak is 81,444.
* The largest crowd to see a game was 85,646 for the 2008 OU-Texas Tech contest.
* OU is 72-2 at home during the streak, and has won its last 36 in a row.
* As of Saturday, 73 of the 75 games will have been played against FBS competition.
* The streak mirrors Bob Stoops’ tenure, which began with a 49-0 win over Indiana State on Sept. 11, 1999.
* During that time, the stadium’s capacity has grown from 72,726 to 82,112 (+9,386).
* Average attendance has grown from 74,664 in 1999 to 84,738 last season.
When the Streak Began in 1999 …
* Bill Clinton was president.
* Frank Keating was governor of Oklahoma.
* The Euro was just being introduced.
* The population of Norman was 87,750. Today it’s close to 111,000.
* The Dow Jones Industrial average closed at more than 11,000 for the first time ever.
* National unemployment was at 5.8 percent.
* The national debt was around $4 trillion.
* Oklahoma had recently endured the most powerful tornado ever measured (May 3).
* The Space Shuttle Discovery completed the first docking with the International Space Station.
* The Y2K scare was in full swing.
* Cell phones included internet browsing for the first time (the public knew nothing of Iphone, Ipod or Ipad).
* Anheuser-Busch introduced the “Whassup” commercial.
* “Shakespeare in Love” won the Oscar for best movie, but “Fight Club” was the top grossing film.
* “Who wants to be a Millionaire” was the top-rated television show.
* The six billionth human was born.
* Michael Jordan announced his first retirement from basketball.
* The Spurs beat the Knicks, 4-1, in the NBA finals.
* Andre Aggasi won the US Open in men’s tennis.
* The top pop hit was “All Star” by Smash Mouth.
* The top country hit was “Man, I Feel Like a Woman” by Shania Twain.
* The average national price for a gallon of gas was $1.17.