Report: Norvell in mix for Wisconsin OC job
CAMPUS CORNER — Finally back home, for the first time in 2012. Season behind us, now we move into the fluid month of January.
Coaches potentially on the move. Landry Jones potentially on the move. Finishing touches on the recruiting class. That’s January.
With that in mind, I noticed a few minutes ago that Oklahoma co-offensive coordinator and receivers coach Jay Norvell is still under consideration for the Wisconsin offensive coordinator position. Norvell, from Madison and a former UW assistant, has even spoken with ‘Sconsin coach Bret Bielema according to a report on madison.com.
Norvell and Bielema are both Iowa grads, in the giant Hayden Fry coaching tree. Norvell’s career preceded Bielema’s. In fact, Norvell was a Wisconsin assistant while Bielema played for the Hawkeyes.
The job opened when Paul Chryst took the head job at Pitt.
I saw Norvell’s name come up some last week for the Florida offensive coordinator job, but I would think Wisconsin, because of his background, would make more sense. Then again, UF might have more cents. And I’m unsure how Norvell’s background in a wide-open passing offense would translate to Montee Ball (who is reportedly coming back) and a power run game.
Something to keep an eye on.
The AFCA convention is typically a place for this kind of movement, making it easier for coaches and school officials to get together without much maneuvering. The convention is this weekend and early next week, Jan. 8-11, in San Antonio.
If Mike Stoops is indeed coming back to OU, and there’s no reason to think he isn’t, an announcement could come during or just after the convention.
Jones has said he plans to go right up until the Jan. 15 deadline for his NFL decision.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients