Ronnell Lewis officially enters NFL Draft
CAMPUS CORNER — What we’ve known since Bob Stoops talked about it at the pre-bowl news conference is now official: Junior defensive end Ronnell Lewis is leaving OU a year early for the NFL Draft.
Stoops and Lewis made it official a few minutes ago with statements from the school.
Lewis: “After meeting with my family and coaches and gathering input from various resources, including the NFL, I’ve carefully weighed my options and have decided to forego my senior year at OU and enter the 2012 NFL Draft. My time at OU has produced many fond memories and I hope to keep close ties with my friends, teammates, coaches, football staff and everyone at OU who has helped me along the way. I’d like to personally thank the University of Oklahoma and Coach Stoops for giving me the opportunity to be a Sooner and play on Saturdays in front of the best fans in the country. Without the support of my coaches, my family and so many others, I wouldn’t be where I am today. I’ll definitely miss my time in Norman, but I’m looking forward to what the future holds. Boomer Sooner!”
Stoops: “Ronnell leaves with our best wishes. He managed several challenges while playing here, but always worked hard and gave us his very best effort. He has the skill to be a successful NFL player and we feel he’ll do well there. As with any of our players who reach for the top level, he won’t have any bigger fans than those of us at OU.”
Stoops had more to say this past Saturday, also …
Stoops: “Ronnell did an awesome job for us. He has had more to manage as a young guy just overall family-wise. So I’m not at all displeased with Ronnell. I feel bad. I thought of that the other day. I think everybody is maybe mistaken. He has done about all he can. I think as much as anything, he felt with all he’s had to manage, he’s done all he can with his family to be there for everybody. He’s done, from what I can gather, a good job of it. I don’t know that he could have been here for five days, with all he has to deal with there. I think he’s really done a great job for us. It’s why I feel he needs to go on to the NFL. I’m not at all displeased with Ronnell. I’m remiss not to have said that earlier. The perception out there should be positive for him.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21771Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7615Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6773OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6490OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5293Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4032Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3938Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3498Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients