OU freshman tight end: “CLEARED!”
CAMPUS CORNER — Incoming freshman tight end Taylor McNamara told me last week he was hopeful the NCAA would clear him by Monday, at the latest. Took until Wednesday, but the Californian tweeted “CLEARED!” this afternoon. Guess that means he’s in.
Some sort of class credit required the NCAA’s attention, but it sounds as if McNamara – the only high school early enrollee – got a thumbs up for it.
McNamara, who was staying at a hotel with his family last week, was concerned about how long he would be holed up waiting. OU found a way to allow him to stay in Bud Wilkinson dorm, where McNamara told us all about his love of ping pong. He also reported his unfortunate defeat early Wednesday morning — at the hands of a, gasp, girl.
Now he can get to class and catch up on what he has missed the past week.
At last check, receiver Trey Metoyer was still tying up loose ends at Hargrave prep in Virginia. But he is expected to arrive and enroll any day.
Speaking of receivers, a note on top-rated Dorial Green-Beckham. According to his high school coach, Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino may have erred when he “bumped into” Green-Beckham in San Antonio. Petrino was in town for the coaches’ convention, Green-Beckham for the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.
The significance here is that Petrino will not be able to visit DGB this week as a result of whatever happened.
Here’s a thought: Don’t have hundreds of college coaches in the same place where high-profile recruits are playing an exhibition game. It’s a big country.
Earlier this afternoon, ESPN’s Tom Luginbill was on the Finebaum radio program in Alabama. He said DGB was down to Arkansas, Missouri and Texas as his final three. That’s something that has been going around the past week, but OU has not given up. Sooners coach Bob Stoops and co-offensive coordinator Jay Norvell went Monday night to Green-Beckham’s high school basketball game. It’s the second time in as many weeks that Norvell has done that. He went with co-OC Josh Heupel in the last visit.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24523Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15852Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10645Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9696Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9156Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8753Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8578Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7656Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7634Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6870UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients