From NT: Transferring OU TE speaks
CAMPUS CORNER — Some good stuff in this story about Austin Haywood from the Norman Transcript.
Of particular interest to me, though you had to read a ways to find it, was Haywood accepting blame for how things turned out at OU.
“The main reason was I wasn’t doing what I was supposed to do,” Haywood said. “I just had a bad attitude about things. It was my fault it didn’t work out.”
It’s nice to hear young people – heck, anyone – taking responsibility. We reported that, as a final straw, Haywood got into a shouting match with his position coach, Bruce Kittle. He left the team, attempted to come back and then ultimately told us he was heading to Central Arkansas.
I thought the Central Arkansas coach’s comment about what happened at OU was interesting, also.
“It was addressed directly,” Clint Conque said. “We are all human. We all make mistakes. But we live in a society of second opportunities. But his situation at Oklahoma was addressed directly.”
Tight end already would have been a recruiting priority for the Sooners, who lost James Hanna and Trent Ratterree to graduation, but Haywood’s departure made it an even bigger need. Freshman Taylor McNamara, who was cleared Wednesday for enrollment, is expected to help, as is JUCO transfer Brannon Green. OU is still targeting other tight ends, both in the 2012 and 2013 classes.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 64632Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14648Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8984Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7016Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6971How to help tornado victims
- 6471Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6275Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5865Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5834Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 5724Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients