Hearts on fire: Big 12 schedule released on V-Day
CAMPUS CORNER — West Virginia moved this morning to officially join the Big 12 for the 2012 season and then, boom, the Big 12 released its football schedule.
Here is what Oklahoma is looking at this fall:
Sept. 22 – Kansas State in Big 12 opener
Oct. 6 – at Texas Tech
Oct. 13 – Texas (in Dallas)
Oct. 20 – Kansas
Nov. 3 – at Iowa State
Nov. 10 – Baylor
Nov. 17 – at West Virginia
Nov. 24 – Oklahoma State
Dec. 1 – at TCU
What immediately struck me: That’s quite the finish, with at West Virginia, OSU and at TCU in consecutive weeks down the stretch. I was really under the impression that West Virginia would be the conference opener, in September. I gather that might have been something that changed in the final models. If I’m OU, I would have wanted to go to Morgantown in September rather than November. Never know what you’ll get there late in the year.
Where’s the break: There’s only one gap in the conference schedule, and it’s Oct. 27 – the date of the Notre Dame game. A lot of fans are already asking me if there’s any wiggle room in this, and I doubt it, considering the Big 12 really did not want to move games after the release of the schedule.
What’s next: OU says the non-conference part of the schedule will be released “at a later date,” but there is reason to believe this might not be too far behind. The Oct. 27 home game against Notre Dame is set. UTEP is the discussed Sept. 1 opener, and then an FCS school is expected to fill the other date, either Sept. 8 or 15. But having all of early September open does leave as many options as possible for Joe Castiglione and the school.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients