Sooners WR signee Gardner arrested in Reno on obstruction charge
CAMPUS CORNER — The perception is and was that Sooners receiver signee Courtney Gardner has an uphill climb to become eligible to enroll and play at OU. This will not help matters.
By TRAVIS HANEY
NORMAN – Oklahoma football signee Courtney Gardner was arrested this past weekend on a misdemeanor obstruction charge in his hometown of Reno, Nev., according to the city’s newspaper.
A spokesman for the Washoe County Sherriff’s Office told the Reno Gazette-Journal that Gardner, a late addition to the 2012 class for the Sooners, was arrested about 1 a.m. Sunday after the driver of the car in which Gardner was a passenger was pulled over on suspicion of DUI.
The police spokesman said Gardner “became belligerent” as the driver was being questioned. Armando Avina also said the car had five occupants, and the responding officer noted an immediate smell of alcohol and marijuana.
Someone in the car at one point said to the officer, “Don’t you know who we are? We’re Division I athletes.”
As Gardner continued to become more vocal with the officer, backup units were called.
The newspaper reported Gardner was also arrested in November 2009, for possessing alcohol as a minor.
Gardner, 6 foot 3 and 215 pounds, is still a student at Sierra Community College in Rocklin, Calif., where he needs to pass a handful of classes this semester to be academically eligible to enroll at OU in the summer.
Sooners coach Bob Stoops does not typically comment on arrests of current or future players.
Gardner, whose family was forced to move west after Hurricane Katrina destroyed its home in Louisiana, is one of a half-dozen junior college players that OU signed in the class.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12798Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12779Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12087OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10010Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8450Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6619Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 6098Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 5063Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4898Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4189'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients