OU football: Hire a special teams coordinator
Bob Stoops said earlier this week he has no timetable for replacing the vacant assistant spot on his staff due to Kevin Wilson’s departure to Indiana.
Stoops, however, is not confined to replacing Wilson with another tight ends/fullbacks coach. Stoops could go that direction. Or he could have Cale Gundy also coach fullbacks, and rotate James Hanna, Trent Ratterree and Austin Haywood between line assistant James Patton and receivers coach Jay Norvell.
Leaving Stoops the flexibility to go after, say, a special teams coach.
The last three years, OU’s special teams have been unspectacular. Particularly in kick coverage, kick returns and placekicking.
The last three seasons, the Sooners have given up seven kick return touchdowns; while netting zero themselves. That’s the very definition of unspectacular.
I have no idea how many schools employ special teams coordinators, but Oklahoma State, Oregon, LSU and Nebraska are some of the ones that do.
OU got to see up close and personal just how prolific the specials teams were for OSU and Nebraska (which didn’t even have return ace Niles Paul in the Big 12 Championship).
Oregon, meanwhile, leads the nation in punt returns. And LSU finished in the top 13 nationally in net punting, kickoff return average and punt return average.
Next season, OU will be good on offense. OU will be good on defense. But special teams? The Sooners could use a stellar special teams group next season. After all, special teams killed the Sooners in losses at Missouri and Texas A&M, and nearly doomed them against OSU and Nebraska.
Maybe it’s time Stoops considers hiring a special teams coordinator.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20415Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7078Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6616OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5593Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4449Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4211Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4167Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3427Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3248Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients