Oklahoma football: Don’t stress over the College Football Hall of Fame
The new College Football Hall of Fame class was announced Tuesday. Jimmy Johnson made it, for his remarkable five-year run at Miami U. Brian Bosworth did not, even though he remains the most decorated linebacker in college football history.
We wrote about Johnson in the Wednesday Oklahoman. You can read that here. What’s interesting about Johnson is that I think he feels solid about his five years as head coach at OSU. But he never really references the OSU Cowboys much. He was on the Dan Patrick national radio show Tuesday, and Johnson mentioned the Dallas Cowboys, the Miami Dolphins, Miami U. and even his days as an assistant at Pitt and OU. But nary a word about OSU. Probably an oversight, but still interesting.
Johnson certainly belongs in the College Football Hall of Fame, and so does Bosworth. But Boz didn’t make it, because the selectors maintain some kind of artificial character standards. My old pal Dennis Dodd of cbssports.com wrote a fabulous column about the Boz. I recommend it highly. You can read it here.
But I’ll say the same thing about Boz that I said when Barry Switzer was being blackballed from the College Football Hall of Fame before being admitted in 2001. This is not an institution to be taken seriously.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients